The safety program Buckle Up For Life is a partnership between Toyota and Cincinnati Children’s that works to spread tips about proper car seat installation in hopes of saving children’s lives across the country. Our team here at Western Slope Toyota wants to share the top five tips from the team in an effort to keep children safe on the road.
“Car crashes are the No. 1 leading cause of death for children. Correctly installed car seats save lives, and we see proof of this in our emergency rooms every day,” said Claudia Romo, director of the Injury Prevention Service at Children’s Health.
Top 5 Car Seat Safety Tips
- Check Fit & Wrinkles – Once you’ve buckled your child in, check to see if you can pinch a wrinkle in the fabric of the strap near the shoulder. If so, tighten it. Next, tug the car seat side to side. If it moves more than an inch, tighten it.
- New Car Seats Only – Safety experts suggest only using a new car seat so you can ensure the history of the seat. The plastic of the seats can degrade, and they may not be as safe if they’ve been in an accident. If you are going to use a used seat, be sure to check the expiration date.
- Know Which Direction to Face – Children should be in a rear facing seat until they’re two years old, or until they exceed the height and/or weight limit for that seat. Don’t be in a rush to flip them around.
- Use a Booster Seat – For children under 8 years old or shorter than 4’9”, a booster seat is required. This allows them to be positioned properly for the seat belt to work how it’s suppose to.
- Ask for Help – There’s tons of expert resources at BuckleUpForLife.org including installation videos and other helpful information to get your child properly seated.
Those interested in learning more are welcome to contact our team for help. Drivers are welcome to visit us here for help with car seat installation and other safety tips.