If you don’t already have plans with friends and family or expect poor weather on this Memorial Day, there is still a lot you can do to enjoy the holiday. It’s a great time to experiment with making foods you haven’t tried before or play some indoor games. Here are a few ideas for ways to have fun with your Memorial Day holiday.
Homemade Hummus Recipe
A satisfying snack anyone can learn to make is hummus. For the most part, it’s a simple food that you can customize to suit your personal taste and get experimental with. Use this basic recipe to make hummus at home. You may want a food processor if you don’t have one, and it might take a bit of looking in foreign food markets to find one ingredient: tahini.
- 1-15oz can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup well-stirred tahini (paste made from sesame seeds)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or the juice of one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of water
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 pinch ground paprika
Start by using a food processor to blend the tahini with lemon juice until it gets creamy. This might take a few stirs and pulses to accomplish. Then add everything except for the water, chickpeas, and paprika and continue to blend. Add small portions of the chickpeas and keep blending until all have blended in. Add the tablespoons of water until it whips up smooth. Use the paprika to add color to the finished product. Store in the refrigerator.
Games to Play Indoors
If weather or other circumstances mean your celebration stays indoors, there are plenty of games you can play with those you live with or on your own that don’t require computers or consoles. You may want to look up rules for the following, but here are some ideas of what you can do to have fun on your Memorial Day holiday:
- Solitaire and its many variations
- Rummy and its many variations
- Word games like werewolf, word association, 20 questions, or name that song
- Guessing games like charades, celebrities, or riddles